Historic Marbold Farmstead
This property- located in Greenview, Illinois - was built in 1850 by John Marbold, a German immigrant. His passion for farming and all things agricultural inspired him to amass over 4000 acres, build several structures on the site, including a mansion named, "Elmwood," and become a successful businessman in the area. The family holdings were passed down to his son, H.H. Marbold, who continued to grow the enterprise. He eventually owned and operated a bank in town, financing many of the immigrants who came to the Midwest in search of a better quality of life, much as his father had done decades before. By the early 1920s, however, the family had overextended their financial resources, and was forced to sell off most of the property and eventually leave Elmwood.
Decades later, after years of neglect, many residents of Greenview formed a non-profit organization and set their attention to the task of purchasing the grounds of the mansion and remaining outbuildings with the idea of restoring the property to its glory days, circa 1890. They have a comprehensive strategic plan, mission statement, and a Board of Directors that oversees fundraising and expenditures. With 100% of the donated dollars going toward the restoration (due to full ownership of the property), progress on the restoration is steady. The stakeholders and community are sincerely grateful of the efforts to turn this once-great farm into an education and living history center, representing what farm life was like on the Illinois prairie near the turn of the 20th century.